How To Treat A Dog With Poison Ivy

How To Treat A Dog With Poison Ivy


This summer, keep in mind that your dog is just as susceptible to having a run-in with poison ivy as you are. If your furry friend wanders off on a hike or spends too much time in the backyard, the oils found in this plant can cause them some serious irritation. When left untreated, your pup’s skin can become red and inflamed—the more exposure they get to poison ivy, the worse their symptoms will be. In severe cases, they can develop blisters on their skin that may ooze fluid or cause them to lose hair. But before you panic and make a trip to the vet’s office (which you should do if their symptoms worsen), here are some tips for handling your pup’s case of the itchies:

Spot the skin problem.

The first step in treating poison ivy is to spot the problem. If your dog is experiencing any of the following symptoms, it’s likely that they have been exposed to this toxic plant:

  • A rash or blisters on their skin
  • Red spots on their skin
  • Swollen, irritated areas on their skin

Make sure your dog did not swallow the poison ivy.

If you don’t know if your dog has swallowed the poison ivy, do not use any liquid soaps to clean their mouth. This can make it worse.

If you think your dog may have swallowed some of the poison ivy, do not let them eat anything else until after they’ve been seen by a vet. It is important that they stay hydrated and get proper nutrition.

Do not give them Benadryl.

Consult with a veterinarian if you’re unsure what to do, or if your dog’s symptoms are severe.

If you are unsure of how to treat your dog with poison ivy, or if their symptoms are severe, consult a veterinarian. If they have difficulty breathing or appear to be in pain, call 911 immediately. If the rash is spreading, covering more than 20% of the body surface area and/or affecting their ability to breath, seek immediate medical attention from a vet as well.

If you have determined that your pet has only mild symptoms and/or you would like to try home remedies before seeking out professional help (for example, because it’s late at night), then call around until you find a clinic open at night (and preferably on weekends).

Use soap and water to remove the chemicals from your dogs skin.

If your dog has been exposed to poison ivy, it’s important to follow these steps:

  • Use soap and water to remove the chemicals from your dogs skin. Wash with a mild soap that will not irritate his or her skin further. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, then pat dry with a towel.
  • Keep him or her calm and quiet so they don’t scratch at their rash! If you have another dog who has also been exposed to poison ivy, keep them apart until their symptoms have cleared up completely – this can take up to two weeks or more depending on their sensitivity level (some breeds are more prone to having adverse reactions than others).
  • If possible, make sure they’re in an area where there aren’t any other plants nearby (this includes houseplants) because if they do get into contact with them again then it’ll just start all over again – which can be very painful for both of you! Make sure nothing else touches their skin either (including clothing) as this will only cause more irritation which could lead onto infection.”

Wash your hands after handling the dog and their bedding.

You should also wash your hands after handling the dog and their bedding. If you don’t have access to water, use a hand sanitizer. It’s important to avoid contact with the plant so that you don’t get infected as well!

Apply an over-the-counter medication for itching to the affected area.

If your dog has developed a skin rash, you will want to treat it as quickly as possible. The sooner you treat the rash, the less likely it is that it will spread to other areas of the body.

  • Look for signs of itching and inflammation in your dog’s skin. These are usually more noticeable on the face, feet and legs (but may affect any area). Look for redness or bumps that resemble pimples or blisters; if these are present then there is a good chance that your dog has been bitten by an insect that carries poison ivy.
  • Cleanse and dry off affected areas as soon as possible with soap and water if there are no open wounds present. If there are open wounds present then consult your veterinarian before washing them out yourself; they may need antibiotics instead of just antimicrobial ointment because they could become infected due to their size or depth.* Apply over-the-counter medications containing hydrocortisone or calamine lotion such as Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Cream once every 12 hours until symptoms go away.* Keep your pet calm: try using medication such as Benedryl at night when itching tends happen most often so they won’t scratch themselves raw!

It’s important to clean off any rash as soon as possible.

You can reduce the severity and duration of your dog’s poison ivy rash by cleaning off the chemicals as soon as possible. If you see any areas where your dog was exposed to an infested plant, use soap and water to remove the chemical oils from their skin. You can also apply an over-the-counter medication to help relieve itching in affected areas.


Although dogs are not particularly susceptible to poison ivy allergies, they can come into contact with the plant’s irritating oils if they walk through it or start chewing on it. Your dog’s symptoms may be mild and go away on their own or require medication to ease the discomfort. Be sure to carefully follow all directions provided by your vet so that you can keep track of any changes in your pet’s health and comfort level after being exposed to the rash-causing oil. Remember, if you think your dog has been exposed to poison ivy, take them immediately away from where

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top